October 12, 2015

Berry Edo Weekend

Hello my dahlns!

I started to type this post yesterday (Sunday) night, and then Cakes saw how tired I was and forced me to go to bed. He's such a tyrant! But when I woke up this morning, I thanked God that I had been forced to sleep because I woke up sooooooo refreshed. How was your weekend? I hope you had a nice one.

If you follow me on Snapchat and Instagram (BERRYDAKARA for both media - and also Periscope too), then you saw all the fun I had this weekend. Cakes and I had a traditional wedding to attend in Edo State. Since he was making the traditional wedding cake, that meant, you guessed it, another road trip! I've gone on several road trips this year (see here, and here). I hope I don't have to go on more than one more this year. I mean, they're fun but they can be stressful. Maybe that's why I'm sitting at my laptop now, feeling under the weather.

Anyways, let's talk about the trip shall we?

We left on Friday afternoon. I went to work really early, so that I could leave at a decent time and not worry about traffic. Well, that was just a dream because at 9:30AM there was freaking traffic! I'm getting sick of Lagos, no joke. When I finally got to the bakery, Cakes and his team were finishing up other cakes - I posted some videos and photos on Snapchat. Then we headed off! I would like to say the ride was uneventful, but at some point, we heard a funny sound. We drove for a bit and when Cakes stopped to check the tires, he discovered a large screw had punctured one of the tires! Boooooooo! The car was still driving fine, so he tried to go a farther distance before fixing the tire. I, on the other hand, was lecturing him on safety and driving with a screw in the tire, when the next sound we heard was the tire going completely flat.


Thankfully, we stopped near a vulcanizer and we were able to get the tire fixed. We eventually got to Ekpoma after several hours. I think the whole trip took a little over 6 hours. I'd never been there before and at first, it looked like we were going to stay in a village hotel, and you could see the anxiety on our faces. But after abut 10 minutes, we got back on a main road and found our hotel. 


I was hungry out of my mind, and ordered Egusi Soup and pounded yam! Yeah yeah, I know, Fit Fam, blah blah, who cares? Sometimes you need food. I sha ate quite a bit this weekend o - while the hotel wasn't up to my usual standard, they tried for the price (N8,000 a night) and the food was satisfactory. I may put up a review post later - the bed was surprisingly comfortable!


By the following morning, we woke up early, watched some Bollywood channel out of sheer boredom (my brain cells were actively dying), and then we headed off to our friend's village to set up the cake.
Fondant Coral beads

The bride had said to Cakes: "Surprise me. All I know is I don't want the typical calabash and bride/groom figures."


Then we rushed back to the hotel to get dressed, and headed back again to the village. If you remember my post last week, I had a wedding to attend and had gotten fully dressed but couldn't at the last minute - I decided to wear the same outfit THIS weekend. BTW, the last time I wore this top, something special happened in my life - who remembers?! (Okay, here's a hint)



I'm sure you remember my Twenty-Six skirt from my last road trip



We had a pretty nice time. By the time we got back to the wedding though, all the rites had been conducted - apparently they do the rites with only family, and then have a reception outside. During our traditional wedding, the rites were done the day before, and then the traditional wedding reception was the following day. Anyways, we had fun :D Check out the photo on the left. The acrobatic dancers had gone round to guests hoping to get tips... Cakes was just looking at him, LOL. In fairness to him, he forgot his wallet in the car, so he didn't have any money to give.




Cakes had to give the obligatory Cake Designer speech, which he absolutely hates doing!


I'd like to post photos of the couple, but I don't know that they'd want that, sooooo. yeah. Check my Instagram (and also Cakes: CAKESIENA), and next time, follow me on Snapchat. By the time we got back to the hotel, we were pooped. Cakes went straight to bed, and I for some reason couldn't sleep. I took a night-time photo though - see how my makeup stayed. Are you sure I won't become a makeup artist at this point? LOL!


Very early on Sunday morning, we headed back to Lagos - this time, it took us just 5 hours. But I managed to get a few scenery shots. Whenever Cakes passes some place called Ofosu, he always stops to get Banga soup and Starch (yet another food that I will not eat for any reason).


Oh, I did my makeup in the car and I got my natural hair back out! I've missed her :) I want to cut it into a style like this, but Cakes is vehemently against scissors touching my hair. But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!?


This is where I take my leave. Thank God for Cakes, he made very nice chicken pepper soup so I should start feeling ABOVE the weather by tomorrow. 

Have a darling, lovely, precious week. You guys don't know how much I love you. I really do. I wish I could meet all of you.

Speaking of meeting... those in Lagos, keep October 24th open - there's a surprise in the works for you!!!

38 comments:

  1. You guys tried travelling from Lagos to Edo for a client job/wedding.And yes,I still remember your lovely red top.The traditional wedding cake is beautiful at least different from the usual calabash we all know.Mbok,biko don't cut your hair oo.It will be nice to meet you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do l have this feeling cakes will handle my wedding cake???



    HOW TO BECOME A CELEBRITY IN NIGERIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good feeling to have, if you ask me

      Delete
  3. I love your attire for the trad! You look stunning in that red colour.

    www.Georgetamunoene.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont even want to look at that pounded yam
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God for that bride, as in the calabash thing is okay fa. I love the cake with beads and all, very unique. Btw I love the way you tell your stories, I always look forward to it. Have a lovely week Berry.

    www.dleonalife.blogspot,com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you very much. Have a great week too

      Delete
  6. The cake looks beautiful. Road trip sounds like fun, one thing I never enough of. That's amazing that your makeup latest that long, awesome job. Titi'sPassion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Titi. Road trips can be a lot of fun, yeah

      Delete
  7. You look amazing!!!! I love the outfit, makeup, hair, earrthang girl!!!

    PS: You are my friend in my head! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your natural hair is lovely! You should wear it out more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cake is nice, u & hubby nt looking bad at all, if you Tapered /trim-cut it's will look luvly on u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you o, and please tell Cakes that cutting my hair can turn out well

      Delete
  10. Awww. Cakes made you chicken pepper soup :)
    You and Cakes looked good at the wedding and the cake is different and looks very nice.

    I also like the way you tell your stories.

    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much G. I'd like to mention that I inspired the cake design.


      *which is easy to mention since Cakes won't come to his defense*

      Delete
  11. I love your natural hair, I love the cake and i love road trips.....Girl, you are having so much fun! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. It was fun, I can't lie. Right now though, I'd like a quiet trip... go somewhere and sleep!

      Delete
  12. Your outfit looked amazing ... road trips can be exciting but stressful, glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That red top...see you looking like a sweet 21 yr old trophy wife. Compliment intended.

    www.pynk360.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yaaay! You went to my state. Love the cake, your red top and your hair so please don't touch it.

    Epiphany29.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's where you're from? The particular village we went to seems so peaceful. :)

      Thanks for the kind words

      Delete
  15. Love the red lippy Berry! And of course the red top. And the natural hair. October 24th will now come and be in Lagos. Le Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitchell. Well, the date even changed to November. And yes, it's in Lagos *le sigh*

      Delete
  16. Oh pleaseeee! Banga soup and starch! I haven't had it for months now..need to go home!!

    Berry you look great! Glad you had an awesome time.
    And lol at cake designer speeches..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so go home or find somewhere close by where they make it.

      Thank you ma'am!

      Delete
  17. The cake is definitely not the usual calabash with bride and groom. Definitely not.
    At this point I'm sure you're feeling better so I'll just say- I wish you good health.
    You have a great blog- looking to explore more of it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you about this post! Let's all learn and share our worlds.